08 July 2008

life and death

This week turned out to be quite the eventful one.

It started on a sudden, but exciting note. My aunt delivered my newest cousin David earlier last week. He was born at 32 weeks and has had one crazy ride getting ready to be born. His mother was hospitalized multiple times during the pregnancy, and is still having to work through some very rare and serious conditions. David was born just a little under 4 lbs and with a full head of hair. He probably is the cutest kid I've seen in a long time. Here he is saying hello to all the folks who read my blog:


Unfortunately, the week ended on a very sad note. A good friend of the family, Craig Decker, drowned on Saturday while boating on the lake with his family. He dove into the rough water to retrieve some equipment that had been knocked over by a strong wind, and was overcome by the waves. Needless to say, it has been a tough blow to his family, our family, and so many others who knew and appreciated Craig.

As I reflect on the highs and lows, ebbs and flows, and the beginnings and endings of life, I am glad I have the perspective of the restored gospel of Christ to help me see a more complete picture of our existence and our purpose in life. My view on death is gladly adjusted by the deep assurance I have in the resurrection, the immortality of the soul, and the eternal nature of the family.

So, to my new friend David I say, "Welcome! We are glad to finally have you here but just because you finally can breathe on your own doesn't mean you need to slow down on your goals. Life only gets better after you learn to cook and feed yourself."

And to my departed friend Craig, "Thanks for everything. I'll see you in a few."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David is such a handsome boy! That picture is awesome! I'm also sorry about your friend. I've been keeping tabs on that story through the news. We are lucky to have the gospel to give us peace with tragic situations.

Andrea said...

Brian,
I know what you mean. I had to teach the relief society lesson this week on Death and it was tough. One of the girls in my relief society just lost her mom and it was hard to get through the lesson. The great thing about death is that it allows you to reflect on life after death and feel the reality of it. It is real. The dead do not cease to exist, they just exist in a world different from our own. I love the gospel because it really is the good news. We have so much to be happy about and to look forward to, even after death. :)