18 October 2009

new words

A long time ago, I graduated college and went to work with my pal up in Washington state. We painted parking lots...at night...all night...for loads of cash. We would keep ourselves sane by chatting in the truck as we drove from job to job. Sometimes we would make up words to fit the nature of the conversation, with little regard for the English language. One of my favorites went something like this:

7:20pm Kent, WA

W: "Dude, where are driving to first tonight?"

B: "Everett or Bellevue. I vote we go north."

W: "Fine by me. (they are both north) Freeway it is."

B: "Aaaggghhhh, curses. The freeway is piznacked!"

W: "Sure enough sucka, we're in a tight spot. Good thing we are on the clock."

Yeah. I used the word piznacked the other day in another conversation. The other person with whom I was conversing did not have a clue what I meant. I thought I would elaborate per blog.

What other cools words have you/we made up?

3 comments:

Marissa said...

I like your posts, B. Walk! You should do it more often!

Our freshman year all of us girls (soon to be apt 114) coined the term "deen". Deen in its noun form takes the place of "significant other". Sample sentence? "I saw you out with your deen last night!" Deen in its verb form represents any gooey, nasty, sappy, gross form of PDA. Sentence? "That couple was deening outside my window last night."

Kind of lame, but it worked well for us that year! Thanks for sending me down memory lane!

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

I LOVE making up words. My favorite this weekend was "delumptious". That's a combo of delicious and scrumptious. I made a lot of really good food for my family who were visiting. You'd get the same treatment if you were to visit, B. Walker. :) Same goes for any 207 alum.

bryan said...

I feel like I'm more inclined to ghetto-ize a word than make up a new one out of nowhere. Piznacked is a personal favorite....as was my painting experience. Kristin has oft caught me reminiscing whilst meandering through pizarking lots late in the evning.