18 March 2009

Instructional design

For those of you who don't know what instructional design is, you are wrong. You actually do. We all know what it is, but some of us don't know what to call it, or even recognize it when it happens.

Here is a decent definition of instructional design.

Most people participate in instructional design on a regular basis. Parents are the ultimate instructional designers. If you have ever tried to teach something to somebody, you have (albeit perhaps a bit unconsciously) done some instructional design.

Instructional design is something I do all the time. Lets call it one of my favorite hobbies (mostly because I am not getting paid yet to do it professionally yet). I enjoy it, and am getting better and better with each formal try.

Here is my latest attempt. This is a simple method for creating a meaningful scripture study with a ordered string of connected goals to use the method with. I worked it out in mind for those of us who need to rediscover the power of scripture study. I'd love some feedback, especially if you want to try it out with me.

4 comments:

bryan said...

Hey there buddy. I was thinking for a "physical artifact" of the things I learned I might make some pottery or a sculpture. Or perhaps an especially expressive batch of brownies. That should work, shouldn't it?

Mr. Walker said...

Totally! Especially if you are studying "manna from heaven."

Cause I'm pretty sure I have woken up plenty of days to find those brownies lying in the kitchen, and then experienced disastrous repercussions when I tried to horde them for myself.

Ashley said...

Wow! First I steal cheers and now I want to steal your instructional design... It's absolutely brilliant! (similar in ways to something we learned in silly prep school...)

If we study the fall I'll provide the fruit of the tree ;)

Dan said...

You know what I say to that?

"I like it"